Franc Péret is a professional filmmaker and photographer based in Shanghai.
- 35 years experience in professional Photography.
- 22 years experience in professional Filming for event, documentary, Commercial and fiction.
- 17 years experience in teaching Street photography, Travel photography, Essential and Advanced workshops and Film making.
- 990+ students from all over the world.
- 22 years of work in Asia (Taipei, Tokyo, Shanghai).
- 14 years experience in organizing private and corporate classes, week-ends and tours.
- 20 years experience in directing and shooting for famous brands: documentary, fashion, portrait or products.
- 20 countries visited for photojournalism work.
- 4 languages spoken: French, English, Chinese and Japanese (notion).
Photography lessons and film courses in Shanghai
Since the very first day the Expat Learning Center Shanghai opened its doors in 2005, I was hired to design and manage the Photography courses.
This has granted me the chance (in 17 years) to teach and mentor more than 990+ students, coming from all over the world.
Then, moved by my passion for motion picture, I created a filmmaking class in 2009.
Teaching became and still is a big part of my life, a second nature which I dearly love.
It is so rewarding to feel students excitement while I am giving my knowledge, tips and tricks.
Since 2014, I am running my own course structure to continue teaching Photography and Filmmaking in the way I had done successfully for the past several years.
Photographer in Shanghai
35 years ago, I started my Photography career as a journalist, which was an amazing place to learn all kind of techniques (for sports, portrait, fashion, product, landscape…) to tell stories with images, while facing a wide range of people, places, and conditions:
I always needed to adapt myself instantly to record the best shots possible as the competition was fierce among magazines and agencies.
I was shooting on film (slides) and there was absolutely no room for approximation (composition) or technical mistakes (focus, exposure).
At that time, professional Photographer needed to be…
It is not always the case anymore due to the ease of use of the digital camera (which I love), but my clients still think I am making a difference, due to my professionalism, the deep understanding of my craft and my untarnished passion for creativity.
Filmmaker in Shanghai
In France, we love movies, the art form of movies, and since I was a kid, I spent lots of my free time in movie theaters. In 1994, my life changed into a dream comes true experience. Seduced by my pictures, The major film company in Taiwan hired me as a still Photographer to document its big production.
For 3 years, I discovered the making of films during long and exciting working days and nights. Step by step, I became an assistant director and finally a cameraman.
In 2000, I shot the first feature film (“Two Summers”) of independent Taiwan director Leon Dai.
From that moment, Film was not a show anymore, but something linked to my professional life forever. Thus, since 20 years, I am continually directing, lighting shooting and editing commercials, short-films, corporate video, documentaries and Making-Of.
And I am still looking for more!